Dental implants provide a long-term solution for tooth loss, and they can improve more than just your smile. Nearly 180 million American adults are missing at least one tooth and 40 million have lost all their permanent teeth, according to the American College of Prosthodontists.
Regardless of the cause, tooth loss can have serious consequences on your oral health, appearance, speech, diet, and self-esteem. If you are considering dental implant restorations, here are five ways they can change your life for the better:
- Dental implants can make you look younger. During early adulthood, the teeth and jawbone work together to support facial features. When teeth are lost, facial skin can crease or droop near the gaps. Jawbone deterioration can lead to reduced support, causing an unnaturally aged appearance.
- Dental implants can improve your speech. Missing teeth can leave gaps that cause vocal impediments. Dentures can be bulky or become loose, leading to discomfort, slurred speech, and embarrassment. Dental implants stay secure and do not take up additional space in the mouth, so you can speak naturally.
- Dental implants can help preserve your jawbone. The roots of teeth are naturally embedded in the jawbone. When the tooth and root are missing, your jaw’s bone structure can begin to deteriorate over time. Dental implants help to preserve and strengthen the bone, just as healthy natural teeth do.
- Dental implants keep your teeth in place. When a tooth is lost, the surrounding teeth can shift into the opening, distorting the shape of your smile and bite. Dental implants fill the gap and hold your surrounding teeth in their correct positions.
- Dental implants are secure and permanent. Unlike dentures or bridges, dental implants are surgically implanted in the jawbone, where they act as root substitutes for missing teeth. The titanium implant fuses with the jawbone, so it will not slip or dislodge. Implants also do not make noise or damage bone the way dentures or bridges can.
Dental implants can work wonders for your oral health and self-esteem. They look like natural teeth, restore your facial support and help preserve jawbone structure. They also improve your smile: Gaps in your teeth can leave you feeling self-conscious about your appearance. Studies show that feeling good about your smile boosts your confidence, alleviates loneliness, and improves your social life.
Dental implant restoration is a safe and modern way to restore your smile. To learn more about the benefits of dental implant restoration, contact our periodontist office in Raleigh, NC for your consultation.